Mission Trip to West Texas areas of Alpine and Candelaria
Spring Break Trip: March 11-17, 2018 for College Students
$225+ $25 Administration Fee (if you provide your own transportation)
$325 + $25 Administration Fee (if we arrange transportation)
Price includes food, lodging, insurance, t-shirt training material.
Group Leader: Carlos Boerger & Mark Boerger
Location: West Texas areas of Alpine, Candelaria, and then Camp Eagle near Rocksprings. Alpine is located near the Big Bend area of West Texas at an altitude of 4,500 feet. We would be staying and worshiping with Redeemer Lutheran Church in Alpine during the weekend, and then on Monday morning we will travel to Candelaria, near Presidio, where we will be doing some physical projects and working with children in this small ranching town in the desert mountains of West Texas. One of the members of the congregation in Alpine has been carrying on a medical mission to the people there. Later in the week, we'll be traveling to Camp Eagle, in the Texas Hill Country near Rocksprings for some spiritual retreat time. This should be a great trip and a wonderful opportunity to experience what it means to follow Jesus.
Following Jesus into the Mountains for Ministry and Prayer
Details about Spring Break Trip:
- Leaving Austin early Saturday afternoon, and returning to Austin the following Saturday afternoon.
- This trip is for college students and older and will venture into the Big Bend area of West Texas. Plan to travel from Austin to Alpine, TX, a 400 mile (7 hour) trip,and stay overnight at Redeemer Lutheran Church.
- On Sunday, after orientation the group will worship with Redeemer congregation at 5:00 p.m. followed by food. Redeemer is a small but very friendly congregation served by Pastor Mike Fickenscher.
- On Monday morning - travel 136 miles (3 hours) to the very small ranching village of Candelaria, on the Texas side of the Rio Grande. Members in the Alpine congregation are carrying out medical mission and other mission projects in Candelaria. Candelaria is a small, poor village with many children, in the Chihuahuan desert of West Texas. We will be involved in both physical projects as well as in ministry to children and families. Overnight in a mobile home or an old school building. Most of the adults in Candelaria speak primarily Spanish but the children are bilingual. Ministry and time spent in Candelaria is a wonderful experience!
- On Wednesday afternoon - return to Alpine to spend the night again.
- Thursday morning - travel from Alpine to Camp Eagle near Rocksprings, in the Texas Hill Country (about 290 miles, 5 hours, and back in the direction of Austin.) Camp Eagle is a beautiful 1,400 acre camp located at the head waters of the Nueces River, where we will experience two days in spiritual retreat. The focus will be on spending time in conversation with each other and with our Lord in the beauty of his creation before heading back home. There will be both group time and alone time. Plus some fun activities thrown in!