- Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Bachelor of Arts in Education, EC-12 All Level Music Specialization
- College of Liberal Arts
- Main Campus
- Music Ministry
- Music Performance
- Music Theory Composition
- Lutheran students can also add the Director of Parish Music Certification onto their degree work.
- Delivery Methods
A Music major will prepare you for a variety of careers:
- teacher in the private lesson studio
- music educator
- church worker in music ministry
You'll gain experience in understanding:
- music theory
- music history
- repertoire and technique pertaining to your primary instrument of study
- music technology
- ensemble experience
The Music major also prepares students for graduate-level study.
As a Music major with a music ministry specialization, you are required to participate in one semester-long internship at a church as part of your academic experience. This will allow you to gain hands-on experience in music ministry.
As a student here, you'll discover:
- Faculty who combine impressive academic qualifications with extensive professional experience.
- Small, conveniently-scheduled classes and a curriculum flexible enough to meet your individual needs.
- A friendly community where you can make lifelong connections with classmates from a wide variety of professional and personal backgrounds.
- Musicians and composers who live and work in the Austin area by meeting and performing with them.
In the Classroom
We strive to find ways to bring relevant applications into our courses.
- We bring guest musicians and composers to lead master classes and workshops.
- We have frequent studio classes and student recitals to provide performing opportunities and helpful feedback.
- We make community service projects part of classes like the American Popular Music History class.
- Our ensembles provide a wide range of performance opportunities for students:
- choral masterworks with full orchestra and professional soloists, with tours abroad and within the U.S.
- Praise Band that plays in Chapel, commencement, and local churches
- Opera and Musical Theater Scenes productions in our Black Box Theater with staging and costumes
These are just a few ways you'll appreciate the usefulness of our program.
What Our Students Say
Every year, music major seniors evaluate the program and the faculty. They tell us that the faculty in the Music Department from the College of Liberal Arts are:
- exceptional teachers and performers who help their students achieve a high level of musicianship
- willing to help them grow as musicians, performers, composers, and teachers
- genuinely interested in their students' progress
- accessible and responsive outside the classroom
- constantly providing opportunities for students to enhance their performance abilities
- personally attentive and helpful as students prepare for graduate school
Click on the link above to learn more about the Music Department's faculty.