What is Movi?
Movi is a video conferencing software that is able to connect from computer to computer or the Video Conferencing Lab. It allows two-way video conferencing with sharing of screens for a presentation. It is similar to Skype but provides a higher level of security.
Why should I use Movi?
- Need a secure method of video conferencing
- Need to video conference from a different room into the Video Conferencing Lab
How do I get started with Movi?
- Movi software must be installed.
- Login to Movi using a concordia.edu email address
Contact Instructional Technology at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an account and software installation
Movi for Guest Speakers
- Download the software from www.concordia.edu/sitefiles/w3/Univservices/InstructionalTech/Movi4.2.zip
- Open the .zip file
- Start installer
- For Mac, open DMG file (further instructions are currently unavailable)
- For Windows, open the Cisco Telepresence Movi.msi
- Run the file
- In the Cisco Telepresence Movi Installshield Wizard, click on Next
- Accept the Terms and Conditions, then click Next
- Click on the Next for destination folder window
- Click on Install on Ready to Install the Program Window
- Click on Finish and launch the program
4. Launch the Movi program
5. Click on Advanced
- Internal VCS is movi.concordia.edu
- External VCS is movi.concordia.edu
- SIP Domain is concordia.edu
6. Username to Login will be provided via email
After logging in:
- Click on the Tools icon (it looks lie a crossed screwdriver and wrench)
- Uncheck box next to "Start Movi at Windows logon"
- Click on Video
- Set to Low. If you would like to test on Medium, give Instructional Technology a call from whatever location you will be that day. High setting should only be used from a large business.
- Click OK
Once you are logged in, you can contact the Helpdesk at (512) 313-4357 during regular business hours to test.
In the email, you will be provided the login and information about what to dial for the meeting.
What is Skype?
Skype is a home video conferencing software that is able to connect computer to computer. It allows two-way video conferencing with sharing of screens for a presentation. It is similar to Movi and provides a commonly used software to connect with outside users.
Why should I use Skype?
- Need a way to bring a guest speaker into the classroom
How do I get started with Skype?
- Go to www.skype.com to create an account.
- Install the Skype software OR request assistance from the Helpdesk at (512) 313-4357 for software install
Recommendation: create a professional account for use as an instructor.
What else is available to help?
If you want your class to be able to speak with the other person on the Skype conference, request the ClearOne Speaker/Mic connection that can be plugged into your laptop. It allows pick-ups for the entire classroom if you are located in a small or medium-sized classroom.
Contact Instructional Technology at (512) 313-4007 or email@example.com
Return to Video Tools