Position #: 000469
Position Summary: The Director of Human Resources (Director) is responsible for the operation of the Human Resources department in alignment with the University’s mission and strategic initiatives. This position provides leadership to cross functional areas and develops and implements operational plans to support changing business needs. The Director has significant interaction with all levels of the organization and key stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build, motivate, and retain a strong, results-oriented and respected human resource organization and culture that is proactive, operationally excellent, and viewed by the University to be collaborative, fundamentally fair and equitable, effective, supportive, thorough, efficient, and innovative
- Provide transformational leadership with a focus on building a customer service-oriented HR infrastructure that best serves the needs of a wide variety of constituents, including coordination with academic deans and other administrators for faculty support
- Advise and coach management and team members on personnel problems or corrective action issues to help ensure equitable, consistent, and lawful treatment of employees in all employment actions
- Advise and coach management on best practices in hiring, conflict resolution, employee relations and retention, etc.
- Plan, design, develop and evaluate hiring and compensation strategies that are fundamentally fair and equitable and in keeping with University policy
- Proactively review and streamline operational processes to ensure the delivery of high-quality services that contribute to employee productivity
- Ensure compliance with Federal and State laws and University policies; effectively communicate policies and maintain updated handbooks
- Supervise personnel for benefits administration, staffing, supervisor and employee support, and other operations; direct assignments, address complaints, resolve problems, and assess work performance; provide ongoing professional development opportunities; train staff on changes in Federal and State regulations
- Develop and monitor the department budget
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality
The Director of Human Resources has:
- Extensive knowledge of current employment-related laws and best practices in human resource processes
- The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- A thorough understanding of human resource policies and procedures, the initiative to recommend policy, and the ability to develop and document policy
- Experience with budget development and management principles
- Skills in the delegation of responsibility and authority
- Experience with job-related software (e.g., Banner, PeopleSoft)
- Skills in interpersonal relations and conflict management
Required Education & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, or a related area, as well as five to seven years of progressive human resource management experience, is required.
- PHR/SPHR certification is preferred.
- Experience in higher education is preferred.
Special Working Conditions
- Office setting
- Occasional moderate lifting, 30-50 pounds
- Extended periods of operating a computer
- Some travel, local and overnight
Concordia University Texas fully supplements the Employee-Only share of all healthcare packages for eligible employees which includes medical, dental and vision. In addition, we offer an attractive Disability & Survivor plan as well as several retirement packages for eligible employees. We are a private, co-educational institution with a focus on “Developing Christian Leaders” and are under the auspices of The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.
The selected final candidate will be required to pass a full background screening.
11400 Concordia University Drive
Austin, Texas 78726
Phone: 512.313.JOBS (5627)
Questions? Email email@example.com