Under the general direction of the Associate Provost, the Dean of the College Business & Communication is responsible for promoting and supporting growth of the college and leading the college in the mission and strategic plan of Concordia University Texas. The Dean will also manage and communicate with internal and external stakeholders, coordinate with multiple departments across the institution, and serve as a voice to administration and faculty. This position requires outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Lead the College in promoting and supporting the mission and strategic plan of the university and model teaching, ethics, research and service.
- Coordinate with other departments in the institution to ensure student success (Admissions, Student Success, Student Life, Center for Vocation and Professional Development)
- Provide vision for programs that improve quality and effectiveness and promote growth
- Represent the college at university events including, but not limited to: graduation, honors banquet, etc.
- Approve posting and advertising for adjunct hires
- Facilitate adjunct hiring in coordination with HR
- Review and provide second signature for faculty credentialing paperwork
- Ensure that faculty credentialing forms are up to date
- Lead full time hiring
- Supervise and assist the Chairs of Majors
- Oversee and coordinate faculty training needs for full time and adjunct faculty.
- Assign classes to faculty and monitor faculty work loads
- Coordinate with Associate Provost on disciplinary needs of faculty, review of IGPs, and evaluation
- Provide mentoring and coaching to full time and adjunct faculty.
- Ensure that the schedule of course offerings efficiently fulfills curriculum requirements and submit final schedule to registrar
- Integrate and adjust College budget to meet university goals and objectives and oversee its administration after adoption.
- Managing the operation college budget to ensure fiscally strong programs that contribute to the university mission and margin
- Overall management of assigned programs or courses including both traditional and non-traditional business related programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, which are delivered on the main campus and remote centers in coordinate with the AVP Partnerships
- Oversee scholarship selection process
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the College, including the timely processing of non-routine paperwork, petitions involving more than one school or more than one college, etc.
- Lead Catalog update process and review catalog updates
Program Evaluation and Assessment
- Ensure that assessment activities at the course and program level are completed and properly stored, including documented evidence of closing the loop.
- Lead the program review and prioritization process.
- Ensure that curriculum is up to date, in line with current best practice, and aligned with the strategic plan of the school and university.
- Oversee the ongoing work of the advisory boards in the College.
- Develop and nurture relationships with donors and supporters of the College in collaboration with the AP and external relations.
- Maintain external relationships for internships and/or practicum as needed for program(s)
- Monitor advising
- Fulfill assigned role in Advising
- Communicate through various channels with all levels of administration and with faculty as students to ensure accurate information
- Provide accurate minutes of all school/college meetings and store them.
- Model and promote an open and collegial atmosphere within assigned area and with other University Units
- The Dean shall teach up to three hours a year as part of regular duties.
- PhD. (or appropriate terminal degree) in associated discipline
- Three years of management/administrative experience in a higher education setting preferred
- Five years (or equivalent) of faculty or teaching experience at the college level
- Experience with digital learning
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, organizational, conflict resolution, and collaboration skills including ability to manage sensitive, confidential issues
- Practices and holds a Christian world-view that is consistent with the Three Universal Creeds (i.e. The Apostles', Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds
- Thorough knowledge of Academic Policy and Faculty Policy and other policies or guidelines established by the University Council
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to relate and communicate with all levels of management
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism and integrity
- Possess strong and effective customer service skills exhibiting excellent listening skills with a high level of patience and ability to effectively counsel students and faculty
- Display excellent judgment at all times paying consistent attention to detail and follow up
- Ability to prioritize workload and multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
Concordia University Texas offers an all-inclusive benefits package to eligible employees. For additional information click here: Benefits
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS). As a private, faith-based University, employees must be supportive of our mission of Developing Christian Leaders and our spiritual principles and values as a Lutheran institution of higher education. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion.