Reports To: Director, Library Services
Department: Library Services
Location: Main campus
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
The Information Desk Assistant provides customer service through Library research, troubleshooting and checkout procedures. The position often serves as the first and primary point of contact for the library and for all of Building F.
- Provide research help and database instruction to library users (including students, faculty, staff, and outside community)
- Assist with check in/check out procedures for library materials and study rooms
- Follow library policies and communicate policies with library users
- Answer the phone and send text communications in a professional manner, tracking all phone and face-to-face interactions
- Shelve and organize library items including assistance with book and serials processing
- Troubleshoot printer/copier issues and computer and software issues before escalating problems to the IT Helpdesk
- Complete projects as assigned, including those relating to this position’s specific area of study or knowledge.
- In cooperation with the Center for Vocation and Professional Development, create and maintain an e-portfolio containing both a resume and documentation detailing how this position’s library employment is integral to his or her educational and career goals.
- All other duties as assigned
- Work within a team environment and independently, exercising good judgment when making decisions
- Must be reliable, punctual, have a strong commitment to customer service and remain calm and focused in a busy environment with frequent interruptions
- Have an interest and enthusiasm for learning new skills
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of Google Docs and Sheets, MS Office and Blackboard preferred
- Ability to work non-traditional [evening and weekend] library hours as needed and/or scheduled
- Ability to sit at a computer/workstation for extended periods of time during predetermined work schedule
- Ability to answer calls and communicate verbally on multi-line desk phone for extended periods of time during predetermined work schedule
- Must possess the manual dexterity to unjam the copiers/printers, shelve books, unlock/lock the front doors with a hex key, check out materials, and push a cart full of books or hot water (approx. 50lbs.)
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to perform this job.