Mission : Organized in 1991, the Oakwilt Boys is a musical group comprised from members of the faculty and staff of Concordia University Texas. We exist to encourage one another in our ministries and to promote the mission of Concordia University through song. Originally singing only in chapel, the outreach for Concordia University expanded to include performances throughout Texas and producing audiotape and CD recordings. Proceeds from concerts and tape/CD sales are put into a scholarship fund to offset tuition for a Concordia music student.
A Profile of "The Boys"
Fred Frieling, formerly known professionally as "Jess DeMaine," works in the Maintenance department at Concordia. He plays keyboard and sings bass. He also wrote several of the songs and arrangements for Oak Wilt.
Craig Norman, serves Concordia in the Facilities Management department. He Enjoys recording music in his spare time and has been with the Oakwilt Boys since Spring of 2003.
Larry Meissner, professor emeritus in the College of Science, continues to teach field courses at CTX. He plays acoustic guitar and sings melody or middle harmony.
Tommy Nanyes is the father of a former student and long time friend of Concordia. He provides backup instrumental music on a banjitar (a guitar with a banjo sound).
Ron Hilliard is a Professor of Nursing and enjoys singing and writing music, as well as playing violin and mandolin.
Patricia Fick is the "Tomboy" of the group, serves as the Director of CAN-DO Missions, and teaches some DCE classes. She enjoys leading short term mission trips. Pat plays guitar and sings whatever part the boys ask her to (usually high harmony).
Guest Instrumentalists - Occasionally a staff member or a father of an alumnus joins the group as an instrumentalist for a concert to replace several original members who have moved on to other universities since the group was started.
Request a Concert
The Oakwilt Boys are available to do a limited number of concerts during the year. Organizations wishing to schedule the Oakwilt Boys for a concert should first review the agreement form which outlines the needs and expectations of the group. If these conditions can be accommodated requests should be made through group member Pat Fick via email at email@example.com or by calling (512) 313-4331.
In the email, please include the following:
- Event name and date
- Performance venue and address
- Performance time(s) and duration
- Estimated attendance
- Other questions, requests and concerns
- Contact person (name, address, phone numbers)
What We Expect from You:
- An opportunity to share the Good News of Jesus in witness and song to an audience for at least 45 minutes. In consideration of our time investment and the important message we bring we want an attentive audience and have agreed as a group not to do background or "dinner" music.
- The opportunity to sell our CD's ($10).
- Handicapped restroom facilities and handicapped accessibility to the performance area for one group member who is in a wheel chair.
- Electricity access to the performance area.
- If you are serving food, we love to eat, too!
- Lodging, if necessary.
- A contribution to cover investment and upkeep of our equipment ($200 minimum) plus round trip mileage for travel expenses (2-3 vehicles). We are an all-volunteer group, so all proceeds from honoraria and CD sales are used to cover equipment expenses and to support an Oak Wilt Boys scholarship endowment fund. Checks should be made payable to Concordia University.