CTX partners with the AISD branch of GEAR UP.
GEAR UP stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs. It is a seven year federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education promoting college readiness and success through multiple strategies and activities. As a partner, CTX has committed to support the grant via In- Kind Matching until the graduation of the Class of 2024.
College Preparation Checklist
Study hard and do well in school. From now on grades will count towards college and will show up on your permanent record.
- Join scholarship websites such as RaiseMe.
- Volunteer in your community.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities.
- Start saving money for college.
Get to know your high school counselor (the college or senior counselor), and let them get to know you and your goals.
- Take the PSAT.
- Start researching colleges online.
- Talk to friends and family to gather ideas on colleges.
- Begin applying for scholarships.
- Start to attend events on college campuses (plays, concerts, preview days, athletic events, etc.).
- Take the SAT and/or ACT.
- Save money and take dual-credit classes (AP, IB, community college, etc.).
- Run for leadership positions in the organizations with which you are involved.
- Explore career opportunities to determine possible majors.
- Start applying to colleges.
- Contact admissions counselors at colleges you are considering.
- Visit with a college or high school counselor.
- Visit college campuses.
- Apply for scholarships before Christmas break.
- Ask people to write letters of recommendation.
- Fill out FAFSA or TASFA.
Our GEAR UP Austin ISD partnership with Concordia has been a game-changer for our programming. Concordia has sent volunteers to student events, which has helped GEAR UP students see themselves as college students. They have hosted our campuses for college tours and scavenger hunts. Additionally, Concordia has hosted professional learning opportunities for our campus on their beautiful campus, which has helped our staff become better educators, as well as allowing them the opportunity to learn about this unique postsecondary institution in our Austin ISD students' backyard!"
-Elizabeth Severance, Ph.D., GEAR UP Austin Coordinator/ Project Director