Want to make a difference? Here are five easy ways to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey.
1) Eat at Oasthouse Kitchen and Bar on Thursday. Located just across the street from campus, Oasthouse is donating all earnings from service on Aug. 31 to the Red Cross.
2) Watch a movie at Alamo Drafthouse this Sunday. Alamo Drafthouse will donate $1 of every movie ticket sold to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. This applies all day Sept. 3 at all Austin locations.
3) Donate blood. We Are Blood, a local organization that supplies blood for 40 medical facilities within a 10-county region, is assisting patients affected by Harvey. They predict a high demand for blood donations throughout the week and encourage anyone who is able to donate to come out as soon as possible. Donation locations are available online, or by phone at 512-206-1266.
4) Help babies! The Texas Diaper Bank is requesting diaper donations to provide displaced families with emergency diaper kits. Disaster relief organizations don’t supply diapers to families. Find out how to donate here!
5) Think of the pets. Austin Pets Alive needs supplies as they continue rescuing animals affected by the storm. They need donations of items such as cat litter, litter boxes, tarp, collars, kitten and puppy formula and treats. Check out this complete list of their needs.
A message from Texas Oncology
“In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, we are concerned about the needs of all cancer patients impacted by this devastating storm. With the availability of some healthcare facilities disrupted in the near term, and potentially longer term relocations of coast area residents, patients may need interim treatment and care options. Texas Oncology has more than 170 locations across the state. If you are a displaced cancer patient and require temporary relocation of your treatment, we can help. Please contact Texas Oncology at 1-888-864-4226."