The Service-Learning Program is planning several activities to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, January 18th. We hope that you will join us and invite your students to participate as well. In recognizing Dr. King’s service to our nation, MLK Day is the only federal holiday designated as a National Day of Service. The slogan for this day is A Day On, Not a Day Off! In past years, the Service-Learning Program has planned service activities in the larger community for this day. We have also encouraged members of the CTX community to attend the Austin MLK Day March and Festival together. Due to the pandemic, many of these opportunities are not possible or have been cancelled. As a result, we are planning small outdoor in person and virtual service events.
You can read more details about all of our events and sign up to attend on concordia.givepulse.com. All in person events are limited to 10 participants, and everyone who participates must sign up pirior to the event due to our limitations on attendance. Here is what we have planned:
- Stewardship Service Event (2-3 p.m.) "We will do a campus clean up event outdoors with masks and socially distancing.
- In Person Service Gathering (3-4 p.m.) "We will meet in Luther Park to make cards for our friends at Brookdale Assisted Living, decorate lunch bags for the Kids Meals Program, and learn about a few advocacy actions we can take.
- Virtual Service Gathering (3-4 p.m.) "This event will be similar to the In Person Service Gathering, but we will gathering virtually. Participants will need to have their own supplies or pick them up on campus prior to the event.
- Reveal Resource Center Volunteering (6:30-8:30 p.m.) "This event is off campus. Participants will assist with clients picking up food boxes. All activities will take place outdoors with safety measures.
For more information on any of these events, email us at email@example.com.
In addition to the activities planned by Service-Learning, there are some wonderful opportunities with the greater Austin community. Here are a couple to consider:
· The YMCA and ACC are collaborating to host three Truth, Racial Healing, & Transformation Virtual Circles on January 18th and 19th. Sign up at https://ahcandkarisha.eventbrite.com/
- Monday, January 18th 2:30 pm - 5:15 pm
- Monday, January 18th 3:00 pm - 5:45 pm
- Tuesday, January 19th 6:00 pm - 8:45 pm
*Thank you to Dr. Sam Echevarria-Cruz for passing along this information.
- The United Way of Austin is hosting a short community moment, reflection, and advocacy call to action at 10 a.m. on Monday, January 18th. Sign up for the virtual event at this link: https://volunteer.uwatx.org/special-event/a0M1H00000VvQRcUAN
Monday, 18 January, 2021
Save this Event:iCalendar
Windows Live Calendar
Share this Event:Email to a Friend