Under the general direction of the Associate Provost, the Dean of Nursing is responsible for promoting and supporting growth of the college and leading the college in the mission and strategic plan of Concordia University Texas. This position will direct the College of Nursing (CON); and implement the strategic nursing plan in collaboration with the professional health care community, the Advisory Board of the College, academic nursing partners as well as potential donors. The Dean will also manage and communicate with internal and external stakeholders and coordinate with multiple departments across the institution. The Dean will plan and administer the nursing annual budget and recommend future revenue opportunities and margin growth. This position requires a person who is a change agent, an excellent interpersonal communicator, and a team player.
- Leadership & Faculty Supervision: Leads the College in promoting and advancing the mission and strategic plan of the university and model teaching, ethics, research and service; coordinates with other departments in the institution to ensure student success (Admissions, Student Success, Student Life, Center for Vocation and Professional Development); provides vision for programs that improves quality and effectiveness and promotes growth; represents the college at university events including, but not limited to: graduation, honors banquet, etc.; directs the professional nursing education program in all its phases, including approval of teaching staff, selection of appropriate clinical sites, admission, progression, probation, dismissal of students, and enforcement of student policies; develops a culture in the CON that is student centered characterized by transparency, communication, and student success; ensures all nursing programs are staffed with high quality credentialed faculty; supervises and assists the Program Directors; oversees and coordinates faculty orientation and professional development and provide mentoring and coaching for full time and adjunct faculty within the CON; ensures an efficient schedule that maximizes clinical usage, fulfills curriculum requirements and appropriately allocates faculty workloads; coordinates with Associate Provost (AP) to review faculty IGPs, evaluations, disciplinary needs and takes action as needed;
- Program & Curriculum Management: Proposes and administers the College budget to meet university goals and objectives; manages the operation college budget to ensure fiscally strong programs that contribute to the university mission and margin; ensures delivery and coordination of high quality and relevant curriculum in all programs and courses with consistent resources assessed by student satisfaction and student success in the field of nursing; ensures that curriculum is up to date, in line with current best practice, and aligned with the strategic plan of the school and university; oversees scholarship selection process; manages the day-to-day operations of the College, including the timely processing of non-routine paperwork, petitions involving more than one school or more than one college, etc.; leads Catalog update process and review catalog updates; completes and submits the Texas Board of Nursing Educational Information Survey (NEPIS) and Compliance Audit (CANEP) by the required dates to the BON; maintains nursing program, faculty, student, and curriculum records, as required/ needed;
- Program Evaluation & Compliance: Ensures that assessment activities at the course and program level are completed and properly stored, including documented evidence of closing the loop; leads the program review and ensure the program meets accreditation standards; maintains and provides evidence of faculty expertise and knowledge to teach curriculum content; verifies students’ completion of program requirements and completes and submits the Texas Board of Nursing Affidavit of Graduation;
- External Relationships & Communication: Leads the CON advisory board; develops and nurtures relationships with donors and supporters of the College in collaboration with the AP and external relations; maintains existing external relationships and develop new partnerships for internships and/or practicums as needed for program growth; participates in the Texas Association of Deans and Directors of Nursing and other professional, related organizations/groups; attends training, workshops and meetings of the Texas Board of Nursing (BON) as required or requested, including the earliest possible education workshop provided by BON related to education rules and the role and responsibilities of newly appointed deans/directors; communicates through various channels with all levels of administration and with faculty and students to ensure accurate information; provides accurate minutes of all school/college meetings and maintains them; models and promotes an open and collegial atmosphere within assigned area and with other University and external stakeholders;
- Teaching: The Dean shall teach up to three hours a year as part of regular duties;
- All other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. (or appropriate terminal degree) in associated discipline required
- 3 years of management/administrative experience in a higher education setting preferred
- 5 years (or equivalent) of faculty or teaching experience at the college level
- Experience with digital learning and evidence of advancing online curriculum development and delivery
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, organizational, conflict resolution, and collaboration skills including ability to manage sensitive, confidential issues
- Practices and is committed to the mission, vision and ministry of Concordia University Texas and an enthusiastic supporter of Lutheran higher education.
- Thorough knowledge of Academic, Faculty and other policies or guidelines established by the University Council
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relate and communicate with all levels of management
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism and integrity displaying excellent judgment at all times paying consistent attention to detail and follow up
- Possess strong and effective customer service skills exhibiting excellent listening skills with a high level of patience and ability to effectively counsel students and faculty
- Ability to prioritize workload and multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Position Location: Austin, Texas (Concordia University Texas Main Campus)
- May require non-traditional work hours including weekend and evening hours
- Sitting or standing at a computer 5-7 hours per day
- Some travel required
Concordia University Texas offers an all-inclusive benefits package to eligible employees. For additional information click here: Benefits
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS). As a private, faith-based University, employees must be supportive of our mission. Concordia University Texas empowers students of all backgrounds to lead lives of critical thought, compassionate action and courageous leadership. As a liberal arts university rooted in the Lutheran tradition and affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, Concordia develops the mind, heart, soul, and body, preparing leaders for lives of service. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion.