The Art Director and Senior Graphic Designer leads the ongoing evolution of the university’s visual identity. Manages the University photographer and a junior graphic designer in projects promoting University programs, initiatives, and work designed to elevate the University brand image. Will oversee print and digital design and print projection. Supports the creative needs of University stakeholders to develop and create campaign materials that align with institutional messaging, goals, and business objectives
- Responsible for managing and producing recruitment publications, strategic University publications, Concordia Magazine, advertising campaigns, photography, and all other campus-wide creative pieces.
- Designs creative that best represents the mission, message, vision, and brand promise of the University.
- Coordinate university-wide photography needs, which includes overseeing the campus staff photographer and any freelance photographers.
- Creates and conceptualizes logos, illustrations, and other design elements for print and electronic communication.
- Develops and maintains University style guide to ensure a consistent “look and feel” across all print and digital publications.
- Provides creative direction for ads, banners, brochures, posters and other print pieces.
- Works collaboratively with all Office of University Communications members as needed to produce creative content that supports communication functions including print and web promotions, social media and public relations.
- Trains and supervises graphic designers and student workers as required.
- Serves as a liaison between the University and printing company(s) for the effective production and delivery of printed materials
- Meets weekly with the Vice President of Strategic Communications to review projects.
- All other duties as assigned
- Highly creative professional with strong graphic design, photography, and layout skills.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design or equivalent related experience.
- Minimum 5 years of professional design experience (print and digital media)
- Extensive experience with Adobe Creative Suite of products, including Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and systems such as Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and Light Room.
- Ability to articulate and model the Concordia University Texas mission, vision, and values
- Must show active creativity in producing fine art, photography, or graphic design that demonstrates basic principles of design.
- Proven ability to lead a team
- Extensive knowledge of pre-press and print production
- Supportive of the mission and ministry of Concordia University and committed to the spiritual principles and values of the institution.
- Experience with architectural design and layout for websites.
- Proficient in the processes for professional printing and the ability to format files and documents according to print specification standards.
- Proficient in photo- and video production
- A solid understanding of the art of logo design and brand concepts
- A commitment to excellence and the ability to complete assignments and tasks in a timely manner.
- Able to work under pressure and accomplish tasks within required time constraints.
- Effective communication skills – verbal and written.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to lead a team and work effectively as a team player.
- Sitting for long periods at a desk with constant use of mouse and keyboard.
- Occasional lifting and carrying of equipment up to 50 pounds.
- May be required to attend and cover events requiring a long time standing or carrying photography equipment.
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Concordia University Texas empowers students of all backgrounds to lead lives of critical thought, compassionate action and courageous leadership. As a liberal arts university, Concordia develops the mind, heart, soul, and body, preparing leaders for lives of service. As a private, faith-based university, employees must be supportive of our mission. We actively seek candidates who have professional skills, experience, and willingness to strengthen campus diversity, equity, and inclusion in support of our mission as an institution and our strategic plan. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion. Concordia does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, and any other basis protected by law.