The Chief of Campus Police is responsible for maintaining the security and safety of Concordia University Texas property, facilities, employees, students and visitors. The Chief shall coordinate effective programs that includes all aspects of campus safety, traffic management on university property, fire prevention, emergency management, and associated training programs.
- Manages and supervises police/security personnel — conducts and coordinates ongoing police/security training and evaluation
- Organizes, directs, and evaluates all departmental activities including strategic planning, budgeting, maintaining accurate records of criminal incidents, accidents, safety problems, and vehicle registration
- Monitors daily logs to ensure accuracy and compliance with Federal and State regulations
- Reports to Facilities Management any safety issues and concerns on campus
- Maintains effective communication with Student Services personnel and provides regular security and safety education programs for students
- Maintains effective communication with Remote Centers as it relates to security and safety issues; providing timely resources and education programs to improve security and safety awareness
- Maintains effective communication with the campus community as it relates to campus security and safety issues and provides timely resources and educational programs to improve campus security and safety awareness (includes coordinating regular drills: fire, weather-related, safety, etc.)
- Conducts investigations involving safety and security related matters
- Oversees general maintenance of all equipment for the campus police department
- Coordinates all security and safety needs related to special events held on campus
- Maintains appropriate relationships with City, County, and State law enforcement agencies, fire, and EMS personnel
- Organize, develop, and publish the yearly Campus Crime Statistics and Fire Safety Report (Clery Act) and maintain an accurate understanding with Federal guidelines
- Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and experience that yields the required knowledge, skills, and abilities in security management
- Current Texas Peace office (TCOLE license) certification
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in law enforcement as a licensed peace officer, 5 of those years must be on a college/university setting
- Minimum 3 years supervisory and management experience within a college/university police department
- Demonstrated knowledge of Concordia University Texas vision and mission and ability to interpret university policies and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in safety and security management for a university campus.
- Knowledge of Federal regulations regarding security and safety for a university campus
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of and ability to execute all requirements related to Title IX and Clery Act
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to hire and manage appropriate police/security staff and maintain a 24/7 operation
- Demonstrated customer service skills and the ability to effectively work with people
- Demonstrated ability to conduct investigations that include skills in: problem solving, data collection, establishing relevant facts, and drawing valid conclusions
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate, current and coherent security logs
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and multitask with minimal supervision
- Ability to be detail-oriented
- Ability to articulate and support Concordia’s values and Code of Conduct
- Demonstrated skills in working with computers, Microsoft Office Suite, Internet resources, security cameras, and other equipment routinely used by security personnel
- Must be available 24/7 to coordinate rare cases of emergencies on campus.
Must be in excellent physical health since the position involves significant walking, running, and movement.
- Ability to safely drive vehicles.
- Ability to lift security equipment and emergency supplies — 50 pounds maximum.
- Because this position involves business travel, it is subject to a driving record review every two years
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Concordia University Texas empowers students of all backgrounds to lead lives of critical thought, compassionate action and courageous leadership. As a liberal arts university, Concordia develops the mind, heart, soul, and body, preparing leaders for lives of service. As a private, faith-based university, employees must be supportive of our mission. We actively seek candidates who have professional skills, experience, and willingness to strengthen campus diversity, equity, and inclusion in support of our mission as an institution and our strategic plan. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion. Concordia does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, and any other basis protected by law.