The Counselor Intern provides supervised personal counseling and assessment for students, related to personal development and contributes to academic and personal success. This position will also provide educational and outreach programming for Counseling Center. This a part-time position.
- Assessment & Counseling: Provide supervised psychological assessment of student needs and refer them to available university or community resources. Provide supervised brief individual and group counseling to students of Concordia. Assist site supervisor in outreach and program development related to all counseling services. Provide other general counseling.
- Education & Training: Assist in providing leadership to the campus community in all areas of mental health, including assisting in developing and supervising programs in: Suicide Prevention training, Mental health awareness, Alcohol/substance abuse awareness and other areas as requested.
- Supervision: Meet with site supervisor weekly to review cases. Work with site supervisor and/or supervisor for case consultation, education and coordination of client care. Allow one observed session a semester for Supervisor to assess and review counseling skills.
- Administrative: Maintain record-keeping for the functions of the Counseling Center and generate reports of students served. Stay abreast of best practices and trends in the counseling field especially as they pertain to university counseling centers. Keep accurate clinical records and intern log hours.
- All other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Social Work or related field of study
- Licensed Intern (e.g., LMSW, LPC-I, LMFT-A) in the state of Texas (must maintain professional licensure for duration of employment)
- Some experience in providing brief individual therapy, crisis intervention, group therapy, care coordination and case management.
- Maintain clinical and administrative hours’ log for full licensure.
- Work with site supervisor and/or supervisor for case consultation, education and coordination of client care.
- Knowledge of modern counseling practices and methods, specifically with regard to the developmental issues of college students.
- Knowledge of and adherence to existing professional ethical standards.
- Knowledge of relevant regional, state and federal statutes.
- Ability to form and maintain effective counseling relationships, to monitor movement in the therapy process, and make appropriate referrals when necessary.
- Ability to plan, implement, evaluate, and report activities.
- Ability to provide counseling services to diverse populations including international students, non-traditional students, and veterans.
- Able to establish priorities and multi-task to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work congruently within the mission of the university.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective organizational and program development skills.
- Proficiency using computer applications.
- Work around standard office equipment and conditions
- Expected to work some weekends and evening hours
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS). As a private, faith-based University, employees must be supportive of our mission of Developing Christian Leaders and our spiritual principles and values as a Lutheran institution of higher education. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion.