The Counselor will provide and coordinate mental health services at Concordia University
Texas including providing personal counseling services for students and mental health
awareness and educational programs for students, staff, and faculty.
- Assessment & Counseling: Provide psychological assessment of student needs and refer them to available university or community resources; Provide brief individual, couple, and group counseling to students of Concordia; follow up on Early Alerts for students with mental health concerns.
- Education and Training: Provide leadership to the campus community in all areas of mental health, including developing and supervising programs in: Suicide Prevention training, Mental health awareness and Alcohol/substance abuse awareness; serve as the advisor to CTX Alive, a peer education group focused on the issues of mental health, suicide prevention, substance abuse prevention, healthy relationships, and bystander intervention; assist in the emergency management program of the university as a member of the Behavioral Intervention and Support Team.
- Administrative: Create and maintain policies pertaining to counseling services for the university; coordinate record-keeping for the functions of the Counseling Center and generate reports of students served; propose a budget and monitor budget expenditures for the Counseling Center; stay abreast of best practices and trends in the counseling field especially as they pertain to university counseling centers.
- All other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Social Work or related field of study required
- Licensure (e.g., LCSW, LPC) in the state of Texas (must maintain professional licensure for duration of employment) required
- Demonstrated experience in providing brief individual therapy, crisis intervention, group therapy, care coordination and case management required
- Demonstrated experience in creating and developing programs required
- 3 years of significant experience in providing brief individual and group therapy preferred
- Counseling experience in higher education setting preferred
- Training and experience in clinical supervision preferred
- Knowledge of and adherence to existing professional ethical standards
- Knowledge of relevant regional, state and federal statutes
- Knowledge of modern counseling practices and methods, specifically with regard to the developmental issues of college students
- Ability to form and maintain effective counseling relationships, to monitor movement in the therapy process, and make appropriate referrals when necessary
- Ability to provide counseling services to diverse populations including international students, post-traditional students, and veterans
- Ability to plan, implement, evaluate, and report activities
- Able to establish priorities and multi-task to meet deadlines
- Ability to work congruently within the mission of the university
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective organizational and program development skills
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications
- Ability to articulate and model the Concordia University Texas’ mission, vision and values
- Commitment to encouraging and supporting diversity, inclusion, and equity as a key component of becoming the premier university where the adventure of faith, learning, and life-changing experiences leads to meaningful work
- May work around standard office conditions
- May require non-traditional work hours including some weekends and evenings
- Because this position involves business travel, it is subject to a driving record review every two years
Concordia University Texas offers an all-inclusive benefits package to eligible employees. For additional information click here: Benefits
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS). As a private, faith-based University, employees must be supportive of our values as a Lutheran institution of higher education. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion.