The Director of Development will join a talented fundraising team and will be primarily
responsible for expanding Concordia University Texas’ (CTX) leadership and major giving
programs in partnership with the President, VP, and the Office of Philanthropy. Reporting
to the VP for Philanthropy, the Director of Development is responsible for designing,
creating, and executing new and innovative strategies that grow and foster a culture
of philanthropy at CTX.
- Major Giving Program Development: Set and meet ambitious monthly and annual benchmarks for moving individuals through the giving cycle, supported by an aggressive schedule of meetings with donor prospects, engage in the face-to-face solicitation of major gifts, and partner with senior and program staff and others on donor engagement opportunities; responsible for helping set campaign strategy, planning, management and coordination. This includes case for support, campaign celebration and related planning documents as well as the production of all external facing collateral and electronic materials, and all reports. Solicit upgrades, multi-year commitments, and comprehensive gifts when appropriate.
- Development and Portfolio Planning: In partnership with the fundraising team, help plan and execute future campaigns; develop and implement fundraising strategies for CTX initiatives and special projects; report on progress toward fundraising goals, including specific status of proposals; develop and implement the major gift portion of the annual development plan which encompasses CTX's fundraising goals and priorities; design general strategies for each assigned prospect based on research data and information gathered through the discovery and qualification visits. Assess and document each prospect's major gift (current) rating and future ultimate gift rating; personally cultivate, build, and sustain strong relationships with major gift prospects, maintaining a portfolio of 100-125 including long-time donors and new prospects. Partner with the Communications and Marketing and Philanthropy teams to create content for solicitation materials, including annual giving and campaign-specific solicitations; develop and execute cultivation and stewardship opportunities for donors and prospects in the portfolio, and participate in donor-focused events.
- General Support: Complete donor activity reports; attend all staff meetings and participate in campus activities; manage the development of periodic reports and utilize a computerized database system to manage prospects, donor contacts and gifts
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree; CFRE certification also preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience in fundraising, preferably in higher education
- Experience developing excellent working relationships with academic leaders, faculty, staff, and volunteers.
- Motivated to learn and ability to be flexible in changing environments
- Be fully knowledgeable of giving strategies
- Experience thinking strategically and conceptually, managing multiple projects simultaneously and handling challenges with a sense of humor; experience listening carefully in order to influence and persuade others
- Demonstrated track record of delivering high-impact development results - ability to cultivate, solicit and steward major gifts of $25,000 and above. Experience in special and major gifts program work is required. Individual giving will be emphasized, along with family foundations.
- Working knowledge and ability to articulate the Concordia University Texas (CTX) vision, mission, values and Code of Conduct
- Working knowledge of MS Office products, including MS Word, PowerPoint, and MS Outlook
- Strong organizational, business and technical writing skills and ability to be detail-oriented
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of the team
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and orally
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision
- Ability to interpret and abide by CTX’s policies and procedures
- 35% travel required for overnight and weekend stays
- Membership in a Lutheran congregation strongly preferred
- Must be able to stand in front of audiences for extended periods of time
- Must be able to lift boxes or equipment with a minimum of 30 lbs.
Concordia University Texas offers an all-inclusive benefits package to eligible employees. For additional information click here: Benefits
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS). As a private, faith-based University, employees must be supportive of our mission of Developing Christian Leaders and our spiritual principles and values as a Lutheran institution of higher education. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion.