As part of the Finance and Accounting team, the Payroll Specialist performs all activities necessary for payroll processing, data and record maintenance as well as ensuring compliance with all applicable payroll related tax laws and University policies/ procedures. This position is an integral part of the entire Finance and Accounting team and excellent communication and collaboration is key for the position.
- Payroll Operations: perform daily payroll operations and manage workflow to ensure all transactions for semi-monthly payroll are processed in a timely manner including the execution of electronic time clocks (eTime software) leave time, garnishments, deductions, etc.; review and reconcile payroll for completeness and accuracy prior to transmission; process weekly transfer of payroll data to ADP; process manual checks and/ or special payrolls as necessary.
- Payroll Data & Records: maintain payroll processing system (Banner) including but not limited to all earnings and deduction codes and their underlying calculations, payroll calendar, etc. to ensure compliance with applicable laws; understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits; maintain employee leave records and other applicable payroll records.
- Compliance & Reporting: prepare and submit all applicable tax deposits and reports (Unemployment, SS, Med, Income tax, etc.) to benefit providers and/ or regulatory agencies; perform routine reconciliation of payroll-related general ledger (G/L) accounts; process accurate and timely year-end reports and disseminate IRS forms 941, W-2, 1095, W-3, etc. for the University, in compliance with IRS Circular E and Publication 15 for the relevant tax year; participate in annual financial audit preparation; develop ad hoc payroll reporting as needed.
- Policy/ Procedures: understand and stay abreast of all federal and state requirements pertaining to payroll laws; create and maintain payroll process documentation; recommend changes to policy/ procedures and develop documentation as it relates to payroll; perform payroll research as necessary; proactively review operational processes to ensure the delivery of high-quality service to all stakeholders and sound internal controls as necessary; ensure appropriate document retention and compliance with University policies.
- Communication & Engagement: communicate and coordinate with supervisors for payroll questions related to employee’s missing time, leave requests, etc.; field and respond to payroll related issues from CTX employees; review the payroll inbox on a daily basis; communicate to the CTX community regarding the weekly payroll schedule and processes; assist in the delivery of training and development to improve the function; participate in Finance and Accounting team and University-wide activities including but not limited to strategic planning, assessment of effectiveness and team building activities.
- All duties as assigned
- Ability to articulate and model the Concordia University Texas mission, vision and values
- Bachelors’ Degree in Finance, Accounting or other related field preferred
- 3 years’ experience in an accounting or payroll function; thorough understanding and knowledge of GAAP preferably those specific to higher education
- Experience with Banner ERP preferred
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact professionally with all levels across the university
- Ability to analyze, collect data and problem-solve
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Self-motivated with the ability to set priorities, work schedule and complete daily tasks/ projects with minimal direct supervision
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to sit or stand at a computer workstation for 5 to 7 hours a day
Concordia University Texas offers an all-inclusive benefits package to eligible employees. For additional information click here: Benefits
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS). As a private, faith-based University, employees must be supportive of our mission of Developing Christian Leaders and our spiritual principles and values as a Lutheran institution of higher education. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion.