The Police Officer assists in protecting life and property by enforcing all State, Federal laws, and University regulations on the properties of Concordia University Texas. This position involves shift work, including days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Protection of life and property
- Provide regular building checks and patrols on campus. Patrol and monitor all campus buildings and facilities, locking/unlocking as needed. Patrol may include foot, vehicle and Polaris patrol.
- Protection of life and property on owned or otherwise controlled by Concordia University, providing for the overall safety of persons and property.
- Providing other safety and security services to Concordia faculty, staff, students, and visitors as needed.
- Respond to all emergency and non-emergency calls for service on Concordia campus.
- Patrol and monitor of all campus buildings and facilities, locking/unlocking as needed.
- Work closely with Student Life and Residence Life personnel regarding security and personal safety needs for all members of the Concordia community residing in on-campus housing.
- Maintain relationship with APD officers assigned to the Concordia campus, communicating information as needed between APD and CTX PD.
- Ability to respond promptly and effectively when incidents occur.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Enforcement of all laws and university policies/regulations on Concordia campus
- Maintain a working knowledge of all applicable local, State and federal traffic and penal laws, fairly applying and enforcing them on Concordia campus and properties.
- Manage and maintain evidence in a manner that coincides with applicable laws, department policies, and best practices.
- Investigate all suspicious activity reported or observed on Concordia campus and properties.
- Enforce university rules and regulations.
Conduct initial on-scene investigations and filing of proper reports
- Respond to all calls for service within university jurisdiction or as requested by outside law enforcement agencies.
- Assess situation, determining offense if any, conducting initial interview with victims, suspects and witnesses as applicable. Make arrests. Complete and file proper reports and forms as required by departmental policy and /or law.
- Conduct initial on-scene investigations and filing of appropriate offense reports.
- Notify other emergency response personnel as needed. Assist other law enforcement agency or other emergency response personnel as required or requested when incidents occur outside of and/or adjacent to university police jurisdiction.
Professional Development Requirements
- Working knowledge of common productivity software (e.g. Microsoft Office suite and Adobe CS package)
- Valid and non-suspended or inactive Texas Driver’s License
- Complete annual training hours as required by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) for annual validation of Texas Peace Officer License
- Complete annual firearms training and qualification scores as mandated by TCOLE and department procedures
- High school diploma or GED required
- Some college course work preferred, especially in the area of criminal justice
- 2 years of experience as a police officer, with college or university experience preferred
- A general working knowledge of police procedures and regulations
- Current Texas Peace Officer license
- Have no convictions for DUI/DWI, misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude, or felony convictions
- Have the ability to work well without direct supervision
- Have the ability to interact well with all students, faculty, staff and visitors of CTX, maintaining a positive, service oriented attitude in all types of circumstances and contacts
- High level of personal integrity and confidentiality due to working with and access to sensitive information pertaining to criminal and university investigations
- Must be available for any major events on campus
- Must be able to perform basic physical skills such as walking and the ability to stand for extended time periods and in all types of weather conditions, day or night
- Must be able to lift and carry loads such as traffic cones, barricades, items of evidence, office supplies and perform other minor physical labor related to providing services such as vehicle jump starts, vehicle unlocks and occasional changing of automobile tires for individuals
- Must be able to use physical force as necessary to execute arrests, restrain individuals as needed in performance of duties and perform other essential job duties
- This position is subject to a driving record review every two years.
Commitment to the Concordia Mission
Concordia University Texas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Concordia University Texas empowers students of all backgrounds to lead lives of critical thought, compassionate action and courageous leadership. As a liberal arts university, Concordia develops the mind, heart, soul, and body, preparing leaders for lives of service. As a private, faith-based university, employees must be supportive of our mission. We actively seek candidates who have professional skills, experience, and willingness to strengthen campus diversity, equity, and inclusion in support of our mission as an institution and our strategic plan. To the extent allowed by law, we reserve the right to give preference in employment based upon religion. Concordia does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, and any other basis protected by law.