Commencement service attendance is not mandatory, but it is a wonderful way to celebrate
your educational achievements and to prepare yourself to embark on your new adventure.
Commencement Service Times
For one service:
9:00 a.m. - all Undergraduate and Graduate candidates.
For two services:
9:00 a.m. - all Undergraduate candidates
1:00 p.m. - all Graduate candidates
Candidates please arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the start of the service. Doors
open at 8:00 am for Graduates.
Cap and Gown Orders
You may order your cap and gown through the Concordia University Bookstore during your final term of study. The dates that the bookstore will begin taking orders for each commencement service are as follows:
- Fall Term Commencement: October 1
- Spring Term Commencement: February 1
For a student to pick up their cap and gown order from the Bookstore, their eligibility to participate in the service must be confirmed by the Registrar's Office.
Questions regarding cap and gown orders, announcement and thank you note orders, class rings, etc. should be addressed to the bookstore directly. They can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 512-313-4850.
- You will need to include your full legal name, height, weight, and degree
- Orders received after the deadline will incur a $10.00 fee for expedited shipping
- Cap and gown orders may be picked up from the Concordia location of your choosing or you may have your order shipped to your home for an additional charge.
- Undergraduates eligible for Latin Honors will receive their honor cords with their cap and gown orders.
- Graduate students receive honors regalia only from the Honor Society to which they belong.
- Students must contact the Honor Society or Honor Society representative directly for Honor Society commencement regalia.
- Any order placed by a student ineligible to walk in commencement, or any order placed by a student who is eligible to walk but does not pick up their order by commencement day is subject to a $10.00 restocking fee.
- The bookstore will be present at the commencement site with any extra gowns, tassels, etc. that they have in stock. They will also have a supply of CTX items and diploma frames.
- Your cap and gown are yours to keep.
Candidates please arrive no later than 8:15 a.m. for the first ceremony (undergraduate) and 12:15 p.m. for the second ceremony (graduate). Please proceed to the Fellowship Hall. Graduates will line up in the Fellowship Hall and proceed to the auditorium at the start of the ceremony.
- You will be handed a card with your name on it and numeric indicator (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4).
- Line up in sequence according to your number. This order is the processional order.
- Once you find your place in line, please remain there.
- Do not lose the card you are given. You will hand this card to the reader who will announce your name as you cross the stage.
- If your name has a unique pronunciation, write the phonetic spelling of your name on your card.
- All tassels should be worn forward and to the right.
- Graduate Students: Be sure to have your hood with you. There are none available at the service.
- Graduate hoods should not be worn (you will be hooded during the service).
Graduate hoods should be draped over the right arm, black side facing out, with the band of colored velvet next to the wrist.
Please do not plan to carry any purses, flowers, gifts, coats, or sweaters during the processional as there is no secure space to leave them and there is no space in the seating area of the auditorium. Make arrangements to have a relative or friend hold onto those items for you during the service.
Attire for Commencement Day
The commencement service is a professional event and student attire should reflect the pride and integrity befitting the occasion.
- For the men - closed toed shoes and socks should be worn with khaki or dress slacks or non-frayed blue jeans along with an appropriate shirt.
- For women - dresses may be worn or slacks with an appropriate blouse. Open-toe shoes
are acceptable; however, no flip-flops should be worn.
During the processional, you must negotiate quite a number of stairs and cross a polished wood stage, so please wear shoes with an appropriate heel height and/or tread that comfortably allows for this activity.
Please use the Graduation Checklist (pdf) to make sure all necessary tasks are completed.
For additional information regarding the Commencement Service please contact Student Central at email@example.com.