Reports To: Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator
Department: Office of Environmental Health and Safety
Location: Main Campus
Minimum Required Education: Enrolled in undergraduate or graduate Environmental Science program
FLSA Status: Part-Time Work Study
Position #: Assigned by HR
Salary: Upaid Position
Minimum Required Experience: No previous experience required
The Environmental Health and Safety Student Employee assists the Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator in maintaining the CTX Environmental Management and Workplace Safety programs.
- Conducts monthly inspections of safety systems and equipment, universal and hazardous waste accumulation areas, and general workplace safety walkthroughs of the campus.
- Assists in conducting waste stream determinations for CTX programs and departments.
- Assists in managing universal and hazardous waste collection, removal, and tracking.
- Assists in conducting job hazard analyses and workplace safety assessments.
- Assists in managing CTX workplace safety training programs.
- Assist the Environmental Health and Safety office in developing programs to increase campus resiliency and safety.
- Assists the Environmental Health and Safety office in ensuring federal and state regulations are maintained and remain updated.
- Assists in developing additions to, and maintaining the Environmental Health and Safety Standard Operating Procedures
- May manage long-term projects to reduce wastes and storage of hazardous materials within campus departments, and/or research alternative measures to reduce hazardous materials usage in campus operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Concordia University vision and mission and ability to interpret university policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in Environmental Health and Safety fundamentals and basic principles.
- Introductory familiarity with Federal and State regulations regarding Environmental Health and Safety.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (written and oral) with effective customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to multitask and appropriately meet deadlines and schedules with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and investigations that includes skills in: problem-solving, data collection, establishing relevant facts and drawing valid/accurate conclusions.
- Detailed-oriented with demonstrated ability to maintain accurate, current and coherent regulatory logs.
- Ability to articulate and support Concordia’s values and department Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrated skills in working with computers, Microsoft Office Suite, Internet resources, etc.
- Demonstrated punctuality, reliability, and a desire to contribute to the advancement of Concordia University Environmental Health and Safety programs.
- Must be in good physical health since the position involves significant walking and transporting equipment.
- Ability to safely drive CTX vehicles.
- Ability to lift equipment and supplies — 50 pounds maximum.
- Employee will be expected to complete regular training and apply learned principles to their duties.