Reports To: Director of Computer Science Major
Department: College of Arts and Sciences
Location: Main campus
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Position #: 000823
The Computer Science Lab Manager supports the hardware and software used in the Computer Science Lab (D-132) by courses in the Computer Science major. The position involves installing software on lab PCs, performing basic hardware maintenance on lab PC’s, maintaining Computer Science servers, setting up student accounts on lab machines, and assisting students with setting up needed software on their personal machines.
- Experience configuring Active Directory
- Experience with Server Configuration, both Linux and Windows
- Experience installing and updating various software packages including, Windows 10, Linux, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Experience working with lab machines as a volunteer under previous lab manager highly preferred.
- Knowledge of networking, both Windows and Linux.
- Experience debugging and fixing basic PC hardware issues.
- Coordinate with the IT department and director of Computer Science major as to which functions and responsibilities for the Computer Science lab will be handled by IT and which will be handled by the lab manager and students.
- Coordinate with Computer Science faculty on needed course software and install and configure needed software.
- Advise in the purchasing of new hardware for the lab.
- Maintain the lab hardware (PC’s and servers) including basic software and hardware troubleshooting (working with IT), configuration, network setup, and advise on maintenance hardware needs.
- Install and configure hardware as needed.
- Create and maintain CS student domain accounts on the network.
- Assist students in setting up needed course software on their personal computers.
- Train and coordinate with student volunteers to perform functions of the lab manager, as needed, both to assist the lab manager and train to potentially be the future lab manager.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to sit or stand at a workstation per assigned work
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to perform this job.