Reports To: Zach Stark
Department: Environmental Stewardship
Location: Main campus
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
$10.00/hour--10 hours per week.
The Concordia Rangers will assist Environmental Science and Conservation faculty and Director of Environmental Stewardship in monitoring and management activities relating primarily to the Concordia Preserve and to remote parts of the Concordia campus.
- Maintenance of trails on the preserve, and construction and maintenance of new trails outside the preserve, including organization of volunteer work crews
- Conduct educational tours of the preserve for students, faculty, staff, and visitors
- Conduct routine patrols of the preserve boundary and remote parts of campus
- Operate and maintain monitoring equipment such as trail cameras and GPS
- Assist the Director of Environmental Stewardship, Travis County staff, and City of Austin staff in other matters pertaining to preserve compliance
- Assist faculty in the design and implementation of research programs on the preserve and across campus.
- Must have a minimum Junior classification. Initially, if two positions are created, it is preferable that one position be filled by a junior and one by a senior in order to maintain continuity
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Willingness and physical ability to enter remote parts of the preserve and campus and to work under adverse weather conditions
- Must possess excellent oral and written communications skills
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively with students, faculty, staff, and City and County agents
- Ability to effectively operate under stressful emergency situations
- Ability to work independently or as a member of the team
- Ability to articulate and support CTX’s values and Code of Conduct
- Ability to articulate and support all applicable rules and regulations relating to the Concordia Preserve
- Ability to respond promptly when incidents occur, even after normal business hours and on weekends
- Willingness to learn the use of various computer programs and equipment necessary to perform duties
- Successful completion of an environmental health and safety workshop
- Successful completion of a preserve management workshop and tour guide training
- May include work after normal business hours, on weekends, and/or on holidays
- Must be able to bend, stoop, lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to sit or stand at a workstation per assigned work
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to perform this job.