COVID-19 Update 3/12/20
From: Dr. Donald Christian, President and CEO
Concordia University Faculty, Staff and Students,
While Concordia University Texas is not currently experiencing any cases of COVID-19, I am grateful to you all for your vigilance during this time as we work together to keep our campus community as safe as possible.
As always in a situation like this, our values guide our decision making. As a Christ-centered institution who cares about people, we ask for your prayers for all people affected throughout the world and for wisdom for those making decisions. In our values of life-long learning and vocation, we re-commit to being able to deliver our education services in a variety of educational formats, a learning opportunity for both us and our students. And, our values of trust and courage remind us to have courage to make necessary decisions and to trust in each other’s expertise as we walk through this collectively.
Like many colleges across the nation, Concordia is making some changes to its curriculum delivery following Spring Break.
Our university leadership has made the following decisions:
- Spring Break is extended through Sunday, March 29th. This means that face-to-face classes on the main campus will not meet during the week of March 23rd. Online classes will continue to follow their current academic schedule.
- Starting on Monday, March 30th, all face to face classes on the main campus for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester will be held online via Blackboard.
- Due to the unique nature of the Nursing curriculum, students and faculty in that program will get information directly from the Dean of the School of Nursing.
- Experiential learning such as teacher education field work and/or internships will continue as scheduled, as allowed by the host site. Please contact your faculty member or program director for specific instructions.
Please know that the care of our students remains our primary concern. Unless the threat becomes more severe in our local area and we are directed otherwise by public health officials:
- Our Residence Halls and essential services to our students (including dining services and security) will remain open.
- We will provide the highest level of support possible to ensure that our students get the support they need to be academically successful in a new learning environment.
- Our campus will remain open for students to use amenities such as Wi-Fi and computer labs.
- Due to the large number of attendees our April 25th Commencement Ceremony is being postponed to August 1st. All other campus events, including athletic competitions, are being evaluated on a case by case basis. Please stay tuned to Campus Event Status website for details about these events.
- As a Lutheran Christian institution of higher education, one of our priorities is care for the whole person, including spiritual care. Pastoral care will still be available during this time, and we are exploring options for a virtual daily campus devotional.
As you know, this situation is continuing to evolve very quickly. Please stay tuned to our website for updated information and let us know if you have any personal concerns (travel plans, concerns over exposure or specific learning needs) by using this form.
Our theme this academic year is Where are you going? With who? (based on Luke, Chapter 24). While we have learned in the last few weeks that we do not always know where we are going in this life, we do know that we walk this road together as the Concordia community on this adventure of faith, learning and life-changing experiences.
Blessings to all of you.
Dr. Donald Christian
President and CEO
Concordia University Texas