The Master of Education in Coaching and Sports Administration specialization is designed to develop practitioners to lead sports programs or enterprises with fairness, integrity and competence. Whether the student aspires to be a school district's athletic director, a university coach or a fitness manager, this program will help develop the skills necessary for such leadership positions. Issues applicable to sports programs in Texas will be discussed, with topics ranging from state laws on concussions to bidding requirements to teacher/coach contracts. All faculty will have terminal degrees (PhD or EdD) and will have experience in sports programs as school administrators, officials, coaches, trainers, officials or business managers.
This 16-month program has a specific focus on the practical knowledge in the academic discipline of coaching and athletics administration. In addition to the core courses in ethics and leadership, research and law, and finance, the specialization offers a sports-specific practicum expertise in coaching and administration. The practicum provides a supervised educational work experience in a specific sport that allows students to apply the theories of what they’ve learned in a practical setting.
This program is an online cohort. Course rotation will allow the student to complete the program in a 16-month time frame. In lieu of a thesis, an action research report concludes the program.
- University Coach
- Athletic Director
- Fitness Center Manager/Owner
- Instructor in undergraduate sports management courses
- Learn to lead sports programs and enterprises with integrity and fairness
- Develop skills for analyzing and applying research in sports
- Prepare for addressing the financial, human resources and event planning challenges of sports administration
- Become trained in federal, state and local laws, policies and procedures as they apply to the sports arena
- Develop the competencies to be an accomplished leader in the field of sports administration
Apply for the Master of Education in Coaching and Sports Administration program.