The Master of Education in Coaching & Sports Administration is designed to develop practitioners to lead sports programs or enterprises with fairness, integrity and competence. Whether you aspire to be a school district’s athletics director, a university coach or a fitness manager, you will gain the skills necessary for such leadership positions.
You will study topics ranging from state laws on concussions to teacher/coach contracts. All MEd faculty have doctoral degrees (PhD or EdD) and experience in sports programs as school administrators, officials, coaches, trainers or business managers.
The 16-month online program focuses specifically on practical knowledge in the academic discipline of coaching and athletics administration. You will develop your ability to analyze and apply research in sports; become trained in federal, state and local laws that apply to the sports arena; and graduate prepared to become an accomplished athletics leader. The sports-specific practicum offers you the opportunity to apply what you’ve learned while gaining supervised educational work experience in a specific sport. Additionally, in lieu of a thesis, you will complete an action research report.
- Athletics Director
- Conference Commissioner
- Fitness Center Manager/Owner
- Instructor in Undergraduate Sports Management Courses
- Recreational Sports Administrator
- Sports Information Director
- Sports Marketing Professional
- University Coach
Graduate students who select this specialization will:
- Learn to lead sports programs and enterprises with integrity and fairness.
- Develop skills for analyzing and applying research in sports.
- Prepare for addressing the financial, human resources and event planning challenges of sports administration.
- Become trained in federal, state and local laws, policies and procedures as they apply to the sports arena.
- Develop the competencies to be an accomplished leader in the field of sports administration.
Core Courses (6 hours)
- MED 5303 Educational Research
- MED 5308 Ethics & Leadership in Education
Specialization (24 hours)
- SPAD 5301 Critical Issues/Events in Sports
- SPAD 5303 Finance
- SPAD 5304 Facilities/Event Planning
- SPAD 5305 Media & Marketing
- SPAD 5310 Organizational Behavior in Sports
- SPAD 5311 Legal Aspects of Sports
- SPAD 5331 Principles of Coaching
- SPAD 5333 Practicum in Coaching
Apply for the Master of Education in Coaching & Sports Administration program today!