The Master of Education in Educational Administration prepares students for leadership in the educational arena. This specialization is comprised of 30 credit hours (12 courses), and prepares students to sit for the TExES Principal Certification Exam #068. A 16-week, 160 hour practicum is required.
Candidates for the Texas Principal certificate must:
- Hold a master's degree
- Hold a valid classroom teaching certificate
- Have a minimum of two creditable years of classroom teaching experience in a K-12 school
- Successfully complete a principal preparation program, including a practicum at a TEA-approved campus in Texas under the guidance of a state-certified mentor with at least three years of administrative experience.
- Obtain permission from Concordia to sit for the Texas principal certification exam (see Principal Certification and Benchmarks tab)
- Pass the state Principal Exam (068).
Graduate students selecting this specialization:
Will meet principal certification requirements set forth by the State of Texas
Will display ethical and Christian leadership skills necessary to help students grow in a healthy and productive manner
Will display all the skills necessary to be a successful administrator at private or public schools
Will be trained in federal, state, and local laws, policies, and procedures
Will have the opportunity to complete Advancing Educational Leadership (AEL) and Texas Teacher Evaluation and Support System (T-TESS) training.
Will complete a practicum as an acting administrator at the campus or district level
Core Courses (12 hours)
MED 5303 Curriculum Design and Practice
MED 5305 Education Research
MED 5308 Ethics and Leadership in Education
MED 5309 Differentiated Instruction and Learning Theory
Specialization: Educational Administration (18 hours)
EDAD 5322 Legal Foundations of Education
EDAD 5323 Evaluation and Assessment in Education
EDAD 5351 Principal as Diversity Leader
EDAD 5352 Principal as Resource Leader
EDAD 5353 Principal as Professional Development and Continuing Education Leader
EDAD 5154 Practicum I
EDAD 5155 Practicum II
EDAD 5156 Practicum III
Educational Administration students will be contacted during their second semester with information about applying for the Principal Certification program and will be added to a course in Blackboard Learn called Principal Certification.
In order to be accepted into the Principal Certification program, students must successfully complete the following requirements:
- Meet all university admission requirements to the Educational Administration specialization
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 either cumulatively or in the last 60 hours from the most recently earned Bachelor's degree or higher. (Candidates with a GPA or 2.75-2.99 may submit GRE scores for evaluation.)
- An official service record with at least two (2) full years as teacher of record.
- A valid, unexpired teaching certificate.
- Submit a completed application form to the Principal Certification course in Blackboard Learn.
- Schedule and successfully complete an interview with College of Education faculty.
- Successfully complete Benchmark 1 (usually concurrent with MED 5308) by passing both the interview and the follow-up timed in-box writing activity.
- Successfully complete Benchmark 2 (usually concurrent with MED 5305) by earning a passing score on the Benchmark 2 formal writing assessment. Benchmark 2 must be completed before beginning EDAD courses.
- Be in good academic standing with the university.
- Accept the admissions offer within the required timeframe.
Once a principal certification candidate has been accepted, in order to remain in and successfully complete the Principal Certification program, the candidate must:
- Remain in good academic standing with the University, including maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Successfully complete Benchmark 3 by completing the test preparation requirements during EDAD 5154. (See EDAD 5154 syllabus for additional information.)
- Successfully complete Benchmark 4 by passing the state 068 exam prior to the practicum semester. (See EDAD 5155 syllabus for additional information.)
- Successfully complete all required coursework.
- Successfully complete Benchmark 5, the Internship Practicum, at a TEA-approved, on-ground campus in Texas under the guidance of a state-certified mentor (administrator/principal) with at least three years of administrative experience in EDAD 5156.
Apply for the Master of Education in Educational Administration program