Teachers who desire to move into leadership roles at the campus level have the opportunity to earn a Master of Education in Educational Administration while working toward Principal Certification in Texas. Courses are aligned to the new 268 exam and PASL (Performance Assessments for School Leaders) tasks.
Candidates are prepared over the course of the 2-year (6-semester) online program that includes a full semester, campus-based internship. The ultimate goal is to develop leaders who possess the knowledge, skills and mindsets to serve students, teachers and their larger communities.
Candidates for the Texas Principal certificate must:
- Hold a master's degree
- Hold a valid classroom teaching certificate
- Have a minimum of two years of classroom teaching experience in a K-12 school
- Successfully complete a principal preparation program, including a practicum at a TEA-approved campus in Texas under the guidance of a state-certified mentor who has at least three years of administrative experience
- Obtain permission from Concordia to sit for the Texas principal certification exams (see Principal Certification Admissions & Benchmarks tab)
- Pass the state Principal Exams (268-Principal as Instructional Leader & 368-Performance Assessment for School Leaders)
Graduate students who select this specialization will:
Meet principal certification requirements set forth by the State of Texas,
Display ethical and Christian leadership skills necessary to help students grow in a healthy and productive manner,
Display all the skills necessary to be a successful administrator at private or public schools,
Be trained in laws, policies and procedures at the federal, state and local levels
Have the opportunity to complete Advancing Educational Leadership (AEL) and Texas Teacher Evaluation and Support System (T-TESS) training, and
Complete a practicum as an acting administrator at the campus or district level.
Core Courses (6 hours)
MED 5305 Education Research
MED 5308 Ethics and Leadership in Education
Specialization: Educational Administration (18 hours)
EDAD 5322 Legal Foundations of Education
EDAD 5323 Evaluation and Assessment in Education
EDAD 5351 Principal as Diversity Leader
EDAD 5352 Principal as Resource Leader
EDAD 5353 Principal as Professional Development and Continuing Education Leader
EDAD 5154 Practicum I
EDAD 5155 Practicum II
EDAD 5156 Practicum III
MED 5303 Curriculum Design and Practice
MED 5309 Differentiated Instruction and Learning Theory
Educational Administration students will be contacted during their second semester with information about applying for the Principal Certification program and will be added to a course in Blackboard Learn called Principal Certification.
In order to be accepted into the Principal Certification program, students must successfully complete the following requirements:
- Meet all university admission requirements to the Educational Administration specialization
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 either cumulatively or in the last 60 hours from the most recently earned Bachelor's degree or higher (Candidates with a GPA or 2.75-2.99 may submit GRE scores for evaluation.)
- An official service record with at least two (2) full years as teacher of record
- A valid, unexpired teaching certificate
- Apply for the Principal Certification program
- Successfully complete Benchmark 1 (usually concurrent with MED 5308) by passing the interview and follow-up, timed in-box writing activity
- Successfully complete Benchmark 2 (usually concurrent with MED 5305) by earning passing score on Benchmark 2 Formal Writing Assessment (Benchmark 2 must be completed before beginning EDAD courses.)
- In good academic standing with the University
- Accept the admissions offer within required time frame
If a candidate does not pass either Benchmark 1 or 2, the candidate must complete a conference with the Educational Administration chair and may be asked to meet additional admission requirements. If a candidate is not successful on either of the benchmark assessments, the candidate will be counseled to select another MEd specialization.
In order to remain in and successfully complete the Principal Certification program, the candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Remain in good academic standing with the University, including maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Successfully complete Benchmark 3 by completing the 268-Principal as Instructional Leader test preparation requirements during EDAD 5154 and 5155 (See EDAD 5154 & 5155 syllabi for additional information.)
- Successfully complete Benchmark 4 by completing the 368-Performance Assessment for School Leaders test preparation during EDAD 5155 and 5156 (See EDAD 5155 & 5156 syllabi for additional information.)
- Successfully complete all required coursework
- Successfully complete the Internship Practicum, at TEA-approved, on-ground campus in Texas under guidance of state-certified mentor (administrator/principal) who has at least three years of administrative experience in EDAD 5156
Apply for the Master of Education in Educational Administration program today!