Undergraduate Financial Aid FAQs

pig and wallet

Q: Do I have to apply for financial aid each year?

Yes, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic school year.

Q: When is my tuition due?

The payment is due 14 calendar days before the start of the term, as defined by the official academic calendar.

Q: Will a schedule change (add/drop) affect my financial aid?

If a student adds or drops before census date, their financial aid award will be revised.

If a student adds or drops after census date, there are two possibilities:

  • If the student has completed all financial aid requirements and all financial aid funds have been disbursed to the students account, their award will not be adjusted.
  • If the student has not completed all financial aid requirements and all financial aid funds have not been disbursed to the students account, their award must be revised.

Q: I filled out the FAFSA and received a Student Aid Report in my email. What do I do with it?

Please retain the Student Aid Report (SAR) for your records. It does not need to be sent to Concordia, as the Department of Education provides us with this information. Check your SAR to see if you have been flagged for Verification. If so, contact your Student Financial Planner to discuss the required documentation. Also, review your SAR for errors. If any are found, log in to your FAFSA on the web, make the appropriate correction(s) and re-submit your FAFSA.

Q: Do I have to complete my taxes before filling out the FAFSA?

Since the Department of Education is now asking for "prior-prior year" income tax information for the FAFSA, it is very likely that you will have filed the necessary tax return before you complete your FAFSA. You can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool while you are completing your FAFSA to transfer your income information from the IRS website directly to your FAFSA.  If that option is not available to you, use a copy of your income tax return to report the requested income information.

Q: How many hours must I be enrolled to be eligible for financial aid?

You must be registered at least:

  • 6 hours a semester to be eligible for the Federal Direct Loans
  • 9 hours a semester for the Texas Equalization Grant
  • 12+ hours a semester for all other financial aid

Q: If my parents are divorced, whose information do I use on the FAFSA?

If your parents are divorced, the custodial parent is responsible for filling out the FAFSA. For federal student aid purposes, the custodial parent is with whom you lived the most during the past 12 months. (The twelve month period is the twelve month period ending on the FAFSA application date, not the previous calendar year). If you did not live with one parent more than the other, the parent who provided you with the most financial support during the past twelve months should fill out the FAFSA. Note, however, that any child support and/or alimony received from the non-custodial parent must be included on the FAFSA.

Q: I received company reimbursement or a scholarship from an organization outside of Concordia. How do I let Concordia know and who should the money be sent to?

You must list all outside sources of assistance that you will receive or anticipate receiving on your admissions application. If you are notified of a scholarship award or reimbursement after submitting your application, please contact Student Financial Services via email as soon as possible. The organization awarding your scholarship should send payment to the Concordia University Texas Accounting Office prior to August 1.