Using the Test and Survey Tool
- How do I take a test or survey? (student)
- What are the best practices for taking a test? (student)
- What is the difference between a test and survey?
- What are the best practices for setting up a test?
- How do I create a test or survey?
- What type of test questions can I use?
- How do I release a test or survey to students?
- Navigate to the tester survey.
- Click the title.
- Click Begin.
Your instructor may choose to have you type a password to begin taking a test. If necessary, type the valid password and click Submit to begin the test. The test continues to prompt for a valid password until the correct one is provided.
- As you work, answers are saved automatically. You can also click Save next to each question or Save All Answers at the top or bottom of the page as you work.
- When you complete the test, click Save and Submit.
- Do not use the browser's back button during a test.This may cause loss of data.
- Timed tests:uses the server's time as measure. If you close the test the time will continue to run. A time status bar will show the remaining time.
- Question Completion Status: Shows which answers are saved and allows you to jump between questions.
- Test Presentation: Your professor will determine whether you see questions all-at-once or one-at-a-time.
- Feedback and Grades:Your professor will determine when and what can be viewed after test completion.
- Start your test as soon as you can.That way, if you have an issue, you will have time to contact technical support and your instructor.
- Be prepared.Have any materials that you need at hand.
- Read all of the instructions.If you have any trouble taking your test or understanding test questions, contact your instructor immediately.
- Check your Internet connection.You need to make sure that you have a strong Internet connection.A wired connection is encouraged as it is usually more reliable than a wireless connection.
- Do not refresh the page, close the window, or click the browser's back button while taking a test.If you experience problems during a test, contact your instructor immediately.
- A test is graded for correctness either by the computer or professor. A professor can view results and assigned grades through the Grade Center.
- A survey shows the instructor only a complete/incomplete check. An anonymous listing of answers is available for download by the professor within the Grade Center.
This information below is for instructors.
- Do NOT used Forced Completion.
- If you want a timed test, you are encouraged to turn ON the Auto-Submit feature.
- Random question order and random answer order are encouraged.
- Select the course.
- Select Tests, Surveys, and Pools from the Control Panel.
- Click Tests(or Survey).
- Click Build Test on the action bar.
- Type a name for the test. Provide other information as appropriate.
- Click Submit.
- Select Create Question on the action bar and select a question type.
- Provide the necessary information to create a question.
- Click Submit.
- Create additional questions as needed.
Reorder questions by drag and drop or using the up and down arrow feature.
- Click OK at the bottom-right.
NOTE: Instructional Technology uses a software called Respond us to quickly convert test from Word into a Blackboard test. Please put a Helpdesk request in if you are interested in this service.
- Calculated Formula- Provides a mathematical formula into which students may insert variables.
- Calculated Numeric- Asks the student to provide a number answer to the question.
- Either/Or - Choice of two answers. Ex: Yes/No, Agree/Disagree, Right/Wrong, True/False.
- Essay- Students freely respond to a question or prompt.
- File Response- Students submit a document that fits the requirements of the question.
- Fill in Multiple Blanks- Students provide a series of words to complete a paragraph.
- Fill in the Blank- Students provide a word to complete a sentence.
- Hot Spot- Students must select part of an image that corresponds to the question.
- Jumbled Sentence- Students rearrange a sentence so that it makes sense.
- Matching- Students match terms on two separate lists. Ex: vocabulary and definitions.
- Multiple Answer- Students pick as many answers as are true out of given options.
- Multiple Choice- Students pick best answer of given options.
- Opinion Scale/Likert- Students choose an answer that best correlates with their opinion.
- Ordering- Students determine the best order of provided terms. Ex: Scientific process.
- Quiz Bowl- Correct responses are in the form of a question. Ex: Jeopardy.
- Short Answer- Students briefly respond to a question or statement.
- True/False- Students determine if a statement is correct or incorrect.
- Navigate to the course content area in which you want to add a test or survey.
- Select Assessments and click Test or Survey.
- Select a tester survey from the Add Test list.
- Click Submit. The Test or Survey Options page appears.
- On the Test Options page, click Yes to make the link available to users.
Set Timer: Limits student's time to complete exam (timed on the server).
Auto-Submit: Suggest ON so when timer is up, test will be submitted to instructor.
Display:Use the Display After and Display Until restricts student viewing of test (OPTIONAL).
Password: Only allows student with password to take test (best used when test is proctored in class).
Due Date: Blackboard sends a reminder to student to take exam.
Results and Feedback: Can show score after attempt is complete,best to show full results after test is no longer available.
Presentation: Recommend all-at-once with randomized questions.
- Click Submit.